- Emergencies & Triage
- Skin Cancer Screening
- Diabetic Care
- Asthma & Respiratory Care
- Smoking Cessation Program
- Childhood immunisation
- Travel Advice & Vaccinations
- Q Fever Vaccination Centre
- Flu Vaccinations
- Workplace Flu Vaccinations
- Health Assessments & Health Checks
- Nursing Services & Treatment Rooms
Emergencies & Triage
If your life or someone else’s life is in danger, please call an ambulance immediately on 000.
If your condition is not life threatening or critical, Central Clinic can provide the prompt thorough medical attention you require. Central Clinic is able to offer triage to patients, you may phone the clinic first in the case of a medical emergency and we can advise you on the best course of action. If you present to the clinic you will be seen promptly, by the first available doctor, we have modern fully equipped treatment rooms and the ability to deal with emergency situations.
Skin Cancer Screening
Skin Cancer Facts and Figures – Courtesy of Australian Cancer Council
This is why you and your family should book in for a skin check:
- Skin cancers account for 80% of all newly diagnosed cancers.
- GPs in Australia have over 1 million patient consultations per year for skin cancer.
- Melanoma is the most common cancer in people aged 15-44 years.
- Excluding non-melanoma skin cancer, melanoma is the fourth most common cancer in both women and men.
- Australia has one of the highest incidences of skin cancer in the world, at nearly four times the rates in Canada, the US and the UK.
- The rate of melanoma incidence in women has risen by an average of 0.7% a year between 1993 and 2003 – a total increase of 6.8% over this decade. For men, the rate has risen by 1.7% a year, a total of 18.7% over the same period.
- Skin cancer is the most expensive cancer. In 2001, it was estimated the treatment of non-melanoma skin cancer cost $264 million and melanoma $30 million.
- GP consultations to treat non-melanoma skin cancer increased by 14% between 1998-2000 and 2005-2007 from around 836,500 to 950,000 visits each year.
- Central Clinic provides fully equipped procedure rooms for all minor procedures, our equipment is maintained to the highest standards, we are accredited with GPA for maintaining sterilisation procedures and follow strict RACGP 4th edition regulation requirements.
- Central Clinic provide comprehensive skin cancer screening and management.
- Studies show that around 2 out of 3 Australians will develop skin cancer.
- Fortunately if detected early skin cancer can be one of the most treatable cancers.
Skin is examined using a dermatascope which enables your doctor to assess the underlying structure of the skin lesion. This increases the accuracy of diagnosis and reduces the chance that harmless lesions will be removed. A comprehensive range of treatments are used depending on the individual requirement including cryotherapy, removal of the lesion with excision, or biopsy.
Your doctor will discuss these options with you.
Being diagnosed with diabetes and living with diabetes will change your life in many ways
However diabetes can be managed and the risk of complications can be reduced
At Central Clinic we provide a comprehensive approach to managing your diabetes through regular visits with your doctor and diabetic reviews with our nurse, who will provide education and management through Diabetes Care Plans, provide you with referrals to allied health professionals, such as physio, dietician, optometrist and podiatry. We can also provide you and your family with information and support.
Please contact Central Clinic on 56 223377 if you wish to arrange an appointment.
Asthma & Respiratory Care
Are you concerned about breathing problems with you or a family member?
Asthma is a common chronic inflammatory disease of the airways, characterised by variable and recurring symptoms, and reversible airway obstruction. The symptoms include wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, difficulty in breathing and shortness of breath.
Asthma is a treatable medical condition, and with good management, people with asthma can lead normal, active lives. However if left untreated, the chronic inflammation of the lung during asthma can become irreversible obstruction. Our doctors and asthma nurse educators are focused on improving awareness of both asthma and respiratory illnesses. Our asthma program helps identify asthma and respiratory needs that are perhaps not being met at optimal levels.
During your visit to our asthma program, a full history is taken and a lung function test (spirometry) is performed. You will be informed of the most recent and updated treatment for your condition, including device technique assistance. Following your spirometry and education with our nurse, you will see your GP, and he/she will discuss results of your spirometry, assess your medication regime and provide you with a management plan.
Smoking Cessation Program
Are you considering trying to quit smoking?
We can offer you support and education to help you through this process.
Speak with your doctor if you would like more information about our Smoking Cessation Program.
Central Clinic provides all childhood immunisations and registers all childhood immunisations with the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register (ACIR).
ACIR is a national register administered by Medicare Australia that records a child’s immunisation history and provides an immunisation history statement to their parent or guardian.
This statement can be used by parents and guardians as proof of immunisation for childcare and school enrolments.
All Government funded immunisations are available at Central Clinic. These are routine childhood immunisations which are usually scheduled for ages 6 weeks, 4 months, 6 months, 12months, 18months and 4 years.
We can also provide secondary school vaccinations if required.
Vaccines continue to reduce the burden of many bacterial and viral diseases. As a result of successful vaccination programs, deaths from tetanus, diphtheria, Haemophilus influenza type B and measles are now extremely rare in Australia
Contact the Central Clinic to make a childhood immunisation appointment with our nurses.
Travel Advice & Vaccinations
Are you thinking of travelling soon?
It is important to see your doctor for a travel advice appointment at least 6 – 8 weeks before your departure date.
Bring in your itinerary to help plan which vaccinations and travel precautions may be necessary for your trip. We can assist in all of your pre travel health needs and have vaccines including Yellow Fever on site. For your convenience you can also purchase from our range of other travel vaccinations Including:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, Whooping Cough combination
- Hepatitis A (from 2 years of age)
- Hepatitis B Adult
- Hepatitis B Paediatric
- Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B combination
- Meningococcal ACWY
- Meningococcal C
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella combination
- Yellow fever (Registered Yellow Fever Vaccination Centre)
- Typhoid and Hepatitis A
- Chicken pox
Tetanus boosters are also available when required. We are a one stop shop for all your travel vaccination needs.
Contact your private health fund as some Funds offer refunds on vaccine costs.
Q Fever Vaccination Center
Central clinic is a registered Q Fever Vaccination Centre
For your Q Fever vaccine testing and immunisation needs please call to find out more information.
Seasonal flu vaccination is offered at Central Clinic
Vaccines usually become available at the end of February or beginning of March each year. It is recommended that you have your immunization as early as possible, usually during Autumn, as the vaccine provides protection for a whole year. However it is never too late in the year to be vaccinated!
Influenza outbreaks usually occur at the end of winter and early spring but can occur at any time. The vaccine is free for people aged 65 years and over, for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people aged 15 and over, for pregnant women and for all Australians aged 6 months and over with medical conditions that increase their risk of severe influenza.
Workplace Flu Vaccinations
Central Clinic is available to come to your workplace to provide seasonal influenza vaccinations on site
Vaccinating your staff against the flu has been found to decrease costs to businesses
Please contact our nurse via reception if you are interested in organising this service for your workplace.
Health Assessment & Health Checks
An important part of staying healthy is to visit your doctor at least once a year for a full checkup
This checkup and health screening can include:
- Full blood tests screening
- Vital measurement such as blood pressure, pulse, ECG
- Skin check
- Lung function test
- Urine test
- Sexual health check
We can also discuss all issues to suit individual’s needs including diet, exercise, stress management, family planning, relationships and a review of your current medications and immunisation status.
For our patients 75 years and over – a full health assessment is available. This includes an extended appointment with one of our nurses and a follow up appointment with the patient’s usual doctor, this ensures continuity of care for the patient. This health assessment is a structured way of identifying health issues and conditions that are potentially preventable or amenable to interventions, in order to improve health and or quality of life. The health assessment examines blood pressure, medication and immunisation status, activities of daily living and mobility, a psychological component including cognition and mood, a social component including adequacy of social support, carers and formal help arrangements. A health assessment also examines oral health, nutritional status, continence issues, medication review,
- 40 – 49 year old health check – those at risk of diabetes – Take the test!
- 45 – 49 year old health check – for those at risk of chronic illness
- 4 year old health check – ‘Healthy Kids Check’
Nursing Services & Treatment Rooms
The Nursing Team at Central Clinic is a dynamic group, whose interests and expertise cross the spectrum required in General Practice.
In our modern fully equipped treatment rooms and procedure rooms we perform many duties including
- Wound management
- Minor surgical procedures
- Accident and emergency treatments
- Immunisation – childhood and adult
- Travel vaccination
- Chronic disease management
- Point of care INR testing
- 24 Hour Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Application and removal of plaster casts (synthetic casting also available)
- Ear irrigation